John Algeo established a leather dealing business at 97 Brownlow Hill, Liverpool in 1881 and at a later date trading as a boot maker the business moved to 104 Brownlow Hill, close to the University, on a site that has since been demolished to allow for the building of the Metropolitan Cathedral.
In 1947 the founder's son, Arthur, gave his name to the present firm A. Algeo Ltd when it became incorporated as a company. On Arthur Algeo's death in the late 50's, his widow sold the firm to the sales manager, Henry Swanson, who continued to manage the business with his son, also called Henry.
Following the deaths of Henry Senior and then at an early age, Henry Junior, the business was run by the latter's widow Betty until February 1990, when it was bought by the John Joseph Trust and the management transferred to the current chairman: Alan Sheridan.
In 1991 the sales team was expanded with the view to build on the local Orthopaedic market already supplied by the company within a fifty mile radius. Without initial specialist knowledge they were able to introduce the company and to develop good working relationships with new customers throughout the United Kingdom.
Originally concentrating on two or three main products (including Cork) the company expanded their range as demand grew. Customers warming to the concept and convenience of a "one stop shop"
Today, Algeos has evolved to be a global specialist in the supply and support for all products relating to Othotics, Prosthetics, Podiatry and Physiotherapy.
Due to their diverse requirements and operating from a total of 25,000 sq ft of factory space, Algeos have a large stock holding of both sheet and slab materials including Thermo plastics, Polyethelene, Polypropelene etc. and with the integration of the new Genisis P32 have a robust, reliable, accurate and easy to use machine used for rapid production along with the day to day cutting needs.